Click location to Book Online Now!
Specialists in Kayak and Stand-up Paddle Board Instruction
Do you need a lesson? Like anything – learn the right way to reduce the chance of injury, fatigue, maximize efficiency and therefore pleasure. You want it to be easy right? Learn the right way.
Downunder instructors have been trained by leading authorities in Paddle Sports including the ACA – American Canoe Association, ASI – Academy of Surfing & SUP Instructors, WPA – World Paddling Association and PaddleFit. All of our staff members are trained by our instructors in skills, group management, and safety. They are first aid and CPR certified.
PADDLE BOARD GROUP LESSONS
SUP Fundamentals – 1 hr: $60 includes SUP rental
Learn how to paddle board in a safe flat-water environment. We begin with an orientation on the dock, educate you on the local area we’re paddling in, safety, the impact weather and tide may have on our outing, and the equipment you’ll be using. Once outfitted we will go over the skills on land before paddling on our knees to a protected area where we can comfortable proceed to stand up and paddle! Our ratio is one instructor to 5 paddlers, 16 years+ – we want to insure you get individualized attention to insure you grasp the concepts. Do be sure to let us know if you or a guest is over 200lbs so we can be sure book the right equipment for them.
Most people only remember 25% in their first class. If you really love the sport, we encourage you return to ensure that you’re learning the most efficient and effective way to paddle. Our instructor will video tape you and review what they observe of your current skills – stance, hand positioning, form, and strokes. Advanced skills will be offered to those that are ready for them – cross bow draw, side draw, pivot turns, towing, rescues.
SUP Lessons for Kids!
Kids LOVE to SUP, and they’re actually really good at it… once they master the skills and equipment. There is a learning curve for everyone, but kids have an additional challenge – the boards are usually larger than ideal for their size, making them harder to maneuver.
SUP Basics for Kids: We recommend a private/semi private lesson for kids.
This lesson is tailored to their learning level and style, and includes a few fun activities such as pivot turns, capsizes, self rescues, assisted rescues and towing – all dependent on time and ability of paddlers.
PADDLE BOARD LESSONS – PRIVATE
Private instruction is offered either on-site or off-site at a location of your choosing. We also have guides available for hire, on-site and off.
- Private Lesson: $110, 10% discount off additional hours
- Private Clinic: $125, includes video feedback and skills development
- Semi-Private Lesson: $90 each for 2 people, $75 each for 3 people, $65 each for 4 or more. Equipment included
KAYAK LESSONS – PRIVATE
Hooked on Kayaking! Quickstart Lesson: Ratio up to five people to one instructor
- 2 hours $195, 1 hour $110
- Semi private 2 people $155, 3 people $125, 4 or more $105
This class uses sit-on-top kayaks, and will introduce the paddler to skills that will assist them in paddling straight, using their core vs their arms for propulsion, turns, stopping, capsizing and rescues (optional). We focus on developing skills that will make your paddling experience optimal – efficient and injury free! We have two sizes for our single kayaks, a 9’6 nomad (ideally 200 capacity) and a 11’2 juntos (350 lb capacity). Private classes for individuals are available in cockpit-style/sit-inside sea kayaks.
What you’ll learn about:
- Equipment: boat/board, paddle, life jacket
- Safety: Local area, weather, tides
- Paddle Plan: based on the conditions, destination
- Posture and stretching
- Strokes: forward, backwards, turns, rudder, sideways
- Bearing: paddling straight towards an object, stroke refinement
- Paddling in Wind & Current: adjustments you can make to your stroke to accommodate
- Rescues and Capsizes: how to assist someone that needs help – boat swapping, towing. What to do if you capsize, how to self rescue and how to perform an assisted rescue. Demonstrated by instructor – participation is optional.