Downunder’s Westport location is located in Saugatuck Center, a new village with restaurants, a butcher, sweet shop and gourmet market – right off I95, on on the scenic Saugatuck River. Enjoy more than 3 miles of navigable flat water that leads out to Long Island Sound and up to Westport Center. Explore the local Norwalk Islands, an archipelago of 25 treasure spots, including the Stewart McKinley Wildlife Reserve, Sherwood Island and the historical Sheffield Island Lighthouse. (Many of the islands are very small and not visible at high tide.) Upriver, at just the right tide, you can paddle under the Route 1 bridge at Westport center as far as the first dam and visit the fish ladder! This is recommended as a guided tour.
Just minutes from I-95’s exit 17 in Connecticut and the Westport train station (serviced by Metro North and Amtrak).
Parking is limited during the week, especially around noon when the Whelk is open for lunch. 1/2 hour retail parking in front of the store. Review the parking chart to know your options, and call us if you need help when you get here.
General Parking Guideline
During the week there are a few visitor spots below our building in the Saugatuck Center, and at the end of the driveway. When leaving the driveway if you drive directly across onto Ketchum, and take the first drive on the left, there are a few spaces under that building, and potentially in the lot to the right. On weekends and holidays you can park in the office parking spaces and in the adjacent train station parking lots, as well as the lot on Charles street, as you exit I95. The old TD Bank parking lot on Charles on the corner of McKinley, opposite Tarry Lodge, is available for parking anytime, and there are a few 2 hour parking spots on Charles (not usually enforced).
- Year-round Surf Shop – Everything you need for kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding or just being surfer dude hip with our very cool fashions — anytime! Be ready for that spontaneous vacation to somewhere warm. Our Westport Surf Shop is open year-round, with seasonal clothing, and in winter – toboggans and sleds!
- Extended Season SUP Rentals – Wearing the right gear you can paddle board into November and potentially all winter (guided from December through March). We carry all you need.
- Parties – The perfect place for kids or grown-ups to celebrate a special occasion. Most parties are on the water – kayaking and or paddle boarding, and we offer a party combo with Saugatuck Sweets (popular with the kids!) After parties can be held in the two courtyards.
- Offsite Parties – got water? We can come to you. Our rental fleet and staff are available to come to your beach, dock, club.
- Marina – Contact All Seasons Marina if you are looking to rent a slip. The two closest to our dock are transient – so you can swing in off the river for a look-see, stretch your legs, go for a paddle, or shop, or enjoy the local restaurants and markets!
- SUP Storage – Leave your “baby” in our covered storage area in a custom-built rack, snug in a board bag, safely locked away, yet ready to go when the urge to hit the water grabs you. We even have a valet service that puts it on the water, cleans it and puts it away after. Make the most of your special time!
- Onsite Launch – we know there are times where you have mates going out, and you want to launch with them from here. Because we are so busy we can’t (usually) allow you to launch from our dock, but there is an area at the other end of the marina that you can launch from. Alternatively, you can launch from across the river, where there is plenty of parking as well.
- Handicap Accessible – Take advantage of the elevator from the garage to the store and back out to the dock. Our staff will gladly assist you as needed, particularly in and out of the kayaks, and with storage of any of your equipment. We do recommend going out with one of our experienced guides, especially if it is your first time.